Venison and wild game processing
We Process Your Deer Just Like a Prize-Winning Steer!
Dunbar’s provides the same careful preparation for your deer as we do for top 4-H cattle champions.
- Experienced in “caping” the mount as preparation for taxidermy work.
- After skinning, your deer is thoroughly washed inside and out.
- On a meat hook, it is dried and chilled in a room-sized cooler.
- When ready, your venison will be cut as per your order sheet.
- Boneless venison is the base for our “secret recipe” sausage and jerky specialties.
- Beef or Pork fat can be added to venison burger for moisture retention and flavor.
- Dunbar’s large commercial smokehouse will season your specialties to perfection every time!
- Hi-grade vacuum packaging protects your venison for freezer storage.
- After flash-freezing, your venison is ready to take home and enjoy!
Prior to bringing your deer in, we recommend leaving the hide ON and filling the body cavity with ice to avoid spoilage. It is important to chill the carcass and remove the natural body heat as soon as possible.
An Assortment of Some of Our Venison Smoked Specialties!
Clockwise from top left: Smoked Kielbasa, Jerky, Summer Sausage, Hunter’s Stick Sausage
Kielbasa – this classic favorite is very tasty in our smoked venison version. Try it with a sauce made from one bottle catsup mixed with one jar of grape jelly, then simmered – we were amazed at how the flavors complemented each other! Smoky, sweet, and spicy. Comes in a two-pound package, at $ 2.80 per pound.
3 types of “Big Stick” Summer Sausage (Mild Summer, Hot Summer, or Cotto Salami style) – Good anytime, but for an easy holiday potluck just cut a stick into one-inch cubes and heat in a crockpot on low setting for a few hours. Then put out a bottle or two of mustard (brown and yellow), and a stack of toothpicks – and watch it disappear! It’s fun to tell them afterwards that “It’s venison!” and smile when they don’t believe you 🙂 …..! Each “Big Stick” sausage weighs 3 1/2 to 4 pounds and costs $14.
Hunter’s Snack Sausage Sticks – Simple and great for out in the field – easy to carry with you for a yummy and filling snack. A little bit spicy! Comes in a two-pound package, at $ 4.80 per pound.
Venison Jerky – Our version is not tough like most other jerky (venison or otherwise), it’s moister and easier to chew due to our special shredding pre-processor. You can cut into one-inch squares and serve with crackers and cheese anytime, or cut into smaller pieces as a substitute for ham or roast beef in holiday appetizer recipes. A delicious addition to a Michigan celebration! See our Beef Jerky page for recipe ideas. Comes in a one-pound package, at $ 8.00 per pound.
Other Wild Game – During our 50 years in the wild-game business, Dunbar’s has custom-processed:
- Wild Boar
- Pronghorn Antelope
and maybe a few others that we’ve forgotten about…if you have one from this list, know that Dunbar’s has experience with it.
If you have something that we omitted from the list, we sure would like to see it!